Targeting Bass from the banks/docks on Green Lake

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Clearwoodglenn
Angler

Targeting Bass from the banks/docks on Green Lake

Post by Clearwoodglenn » Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 am

I grew up swimming in Green Lake (yuck) but never fished it. Today, I have a few hours to kill visiting my old stomping grounds and would love some feedback on locations to target from the bank/docks to fish for some bass. Thanks, Glenn

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Targeting Bass from the banks/docks on Green Lake

Post by A9 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:21 am

I'm not sure if there is a great population of bass in there (I would be interested in trying it out for bass once) but you can always head south of ya and hit up Lake WA or Union for smallies. They should be biting pretty good now...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Clearwoodglenn
Angler

Post by Clearwoodglenn » Fri May 23, 2008 10:52 am

thanks for the feedback. Where on Lake Union can I bank fish from? How about under the bridge by Ivers on the North Side?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:20 am

theres alot of lm in it. i would try shallow with soft plastics cranks and spinnerbaits right now.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

CrankAddict
Angler

Post by CrankAddict » Tue May 27, 2008 12:48 pm

I also grew up swimming Green Lake. Man our parents must of been cruel! I have never fished it and haven't been there in many years but, one thing I vividly remember is the amount of crawdads in the lake. I remember them most in the rocky areas. Maybe this will help you try some patterns. Good luck.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue May 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Probably the best thing to use right now, if fishing on shore, is some sort of rainbow trout swimbait. Some of the largies will hang out on the docks just waiting for hatchery fish.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue May 27, 2008 9:25 pm

I actually went to Green lake and walked it yesterday. Thought about fishing it someday, but its a big lake to hit from shore. Looked like most people on shore were soaking powerbait. I did see a dead carp lol.
aka Powerworm

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed May 28, 2008 5:19 am

What is really sad, I live really close to Green Lake and I usually just trout fish with my canoe. I usually trout fish with a local near the lake and he fishes the place consistently on shore. He always tells me there's big bass near the docks eating trout that they reel in. I went to one of these docks and sure enough, there's a 4lber just hanging around the docks. I threw jigs, senkos and a jerk shad at it, she didn't care too much about the jig and senko, but she showed some interest in the jerk shad. I never had her commit, but if I had some sort of trout swimbait, I probably would have got her.

I haven't had time this spring to check out how many bass there are in Green Lake, a couple years ago, I believe someone caught a smallie at Green Lake. The place is underfished for bass. Maybe I'll get some time this week to check it out before the spawn goes away.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 28, 2008 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 am

I saw some kind of sign while walking kzoo, maybe you know something about it. It said something like " hand launch boats only in this area, 2 hour limit?? It looks like you'd have to park along some type of sidewalk and drag your boat over grass to get to the waters edge. Didn't notice a boat launch. I know nothing about the lake, but where theres lily pads, there's bass :cheers:
aka Powerworm

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed May 28, 2008 5:49 pm

I launch at the north end of the lake (tennis courts), it's a little far from the lake, but I've got a dolly for my canoe. For the shortest distance to launch, need to get on West Green Lake Way heading north, right before getting on Aurora, there's parallel parking along the lake. Launch at a picnic table near the lake.

I've never seen anyone enforce the 2hour BS or the trolling motor prohibited . I did talk to the WDFW agent, he said that it's the city who enforces it. I haven't tested the trolling motor prohibited, but I definitely tested the 2hour BS.

BassFishingWA
Petty Officer

Post by BassFishingWA » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:19 am

Hey kzoo,
I even posted it under your review.
My brother and me went to Seattle last fall (I'm from Germany, Hamburg) and stood near the University of Washington, which is not far from Green Lake. So we fished it for maybe 4 day at total.
Uncountable dinks, every cast was a hit. Nice for testing lures:cheers:

The bigger ones stand under the dock at the north east side of the lake ( That T-shape dock). Another good place for the big ones is nearly all around the lake. About 20m away from the shore the water flowers start growing till the top of the water. And right in front of them (in direction to the shore) the bigger bass are standing. My bro caught one 19"er, maybe 3lbsl. Good fish!

I hope this is a help for you, and sorry for my mistakes in english...:bom:

Have a nice day

Merit
Tight lines
BassFishingWA

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:12 am

Be my guest if you want to target largies at Green lake, I know there some in there, but I don't think it's worth it (at least with a boat), there's other smaller bodies of water that hold more largies.

The docks are the only time I've seen or caught bass at Green Lake, I didn't see a bed or a sign of a bass this Friday fishing out of my canoe.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 am

Thanks for the info Kzoo. Thought about maybe trying it, but I'll reconsider. If I'm ever in that area again (doubt it) I'll take a rod with me. :bounce:
aka Powerworm

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:46 am

It might be worth it if you have an hour to kill just to try the docks, but i wouldn't go launch a boat or float tube.