Wenatchee fishing

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Volk
Petty Officer

Wenatchee fishing

Post by Volk » Sun May 11, 2008 7:49 am

I went to Wenatchee last year and couldn't find any places to fish for bass. Ended up on the bank of a random part of the Columbia and ended up with countless whitefish (or something), but no bass. Anyone have a place they know of nearby, within 30 mins?

I saw some photos of bass at Big Bow Lake near Rock Island, but I can't seem to find the actual lake on mapquest. Anyone know exactly where that is? My friend will have a boat too, so any and all fishing sites will be much appreciated, thanks.

WCCT
Lieutenant

RE:Wenatchee fishing

Post by WCCT » Mon May 12, 2008 7:11 pm

All of the small ponds around Rock Island have a ton of bass in them. I used to fish them years ago and did quite well there. You can also go to the Quincy wildlife refuge area which is about 30 minutes from Wenatchee. There are a bunch of lakes in that area such as Evergreen Reservoir. I can't think of the other lakes in the wildlife refuge, but there is a ton of them. I hope this helps.
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
[http://www.powerteamlures.com/?Click=2818]

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Mon May 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Any idea how to get to these ponds near Rock Island? You are talking about the town of Rock Island right? Just outside of Wenatchee? Are they all public ponds/lakes? Electric motor and boats OK? It will be around 90deg this weekend when Im there, should be great.

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Mon May 12, 2008 9:00 pm

i just google earthed the area and saw a series of ponds next to each other in town just North of the main road and river. Is that what you are talking about? Are those ponds accessible to the public? Will it take boats?

WCCT
Lieutenant

Post by WCCT » Tue May 13, 2008 4:26 am

If you are going to Rock Island from Wenatchee, turn left onto Rock Island Rd. This is about a mile before the main town. Follow the road for a little while, maybe a 1/2 - 1 mile and there will be a very large pond on your left with a large public access area and launch for your boat. This is the one I fished the most. It is the largest too.
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
[http://www.powerteamlures.com/?Click=2818]

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Tue May 13, 2008 7:25 am

awesome, thanks. I followed your directions on a map and I think I know what you are talking about. Did you use senkos, rapalas, spinnerbaits, or what? Are they just all over the pond?

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Tue May 13, 2008 7:49 am

I would suggest making the journey to Evergreen (around 30 minutes from wenatchee) for bass, walleye, etc, or, make the extra 30 minutes to moses lake (fish anywhere around the state park and north). they just had a bass tourney there and alot of big stringers. i use grubs and cranks at both spots. good luck!

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 am

moses would be a bit far. with a softball tourney going on, we prob only have a few hrs in between games to fish. we went to moses last year for a tournament (softball, not fishing) and fished there. man, we were skunked. couldnt move the boat without running into some carp, but no luck with bass. that should tell you how bad of fishermen we are. we even went back to the dunes and the rip rap along the shoreline by the resort. NADA
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 13, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Tue May 13, 2008 10:41 am

yea, with a tourney going on moses would be hard. i would try for evergreen (30 minutes there, 30 minutes back, and a hour to fish). if your playing at hydro-park in wenatchee, ask for the cut-off to the quincy golf course, this is a short-cut to evergreen, and, will save some traveling time (speed limits 55, but, what farmer goes 55!!). are you playing NSA?? i play over at hydro and moses, but, our tourney's are mostly here on the westside (we play some eastern wash. tourney's to play against all those sand-bagging tri-city and othello teams). we are a e-team (SORRY TO GET OFF-THREAD). if you dont make evergreen, those bass ponds are just down the road from hydro-park. they straddle the highway, and, one of them stretch's to the golf course. if you are going up the long hill, just before gold bar??, you have gone to far. when your playing at the park, look to your left on the river. that big slab of rock has walleye and bass around it, but, you need a boat. GOOD LUCK IN THE TOURNEY, AND OF COURSE, FISHING!!!

Geoffrey Ring
Petty Officer

Post by Geoffrey Ring » Tue May 13, 2008 11:47 am

Other options would be Roses/Wapato/Dry Lake(s) in Manson, or Lake Chelan. It takes quite a long time to get up there from Wenatchee, but from past reports and from what I've seen there are bass to be had in them thar lakes. There's some old reports about Meadow Lake, which I feel confident is in Malaga but I really don't know, that speak of bass, but there's no launch. I live in Entiat (~15 mi north of Wenatchee) and am looking to get into bassin, so post where you go and how you do, if you'd be so kind. And as for those fish you pulled out of the Columbia they were probably Northern Pikeminnows (squawfish).
Well, don't know how much of a help that'll be.

Good luck on finding/getting of some hogs.

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 pm

its at walla walla park right next to confluence park I believe. We'll be playing at the Raider Rumble and Im on a team called the Repeat Offenderz (D). We played in E and E+ last year and have been in U-trip the past few years after starting off in NSA. Geoff, Ill prob just fish the Rock Island ponds and will report back after I fish it. Hopefully with the warm 90 deg weather the next few days, itll really get the bass moving and active. Thanks for the help you guys

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Fri May 16, 2008 1:31 pm

I live in the Wenatchee Valley and I do a lot of bass and spiny ray fishing. The Rock Island Ponds have a lot of bass in them. Wapato and Roses Lakes up in Manson are both great bass lakes. The Malaga ponds are amazing bass fishing but one of them is private. Then Evergreen Reservoir and Stan Coffin out in The Quincy Wildlife Area are amazing bass fishing. I hope this helps to all!

Jordan
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri May 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Stan Coffin is supposed to be an awesome bass lake, one of the only (only one that I know of) C&R bass lakes in the state.

Evergreen, well I have spent a lot of time on Evergreen, we don't get along very well. Every time I go to Quincy I make sure to go a couple rounds with that lake. And we will slug it out for 4, 5, and 6 hours straight and it always beets me. Huge variety of fish though muskie, walleye, channel cats, LM and SM bass pan fish and just full to the brim with carp.

There are quite a few ponds in the Quincy area that have bass. Google earth that area and you will be surprised, as to how many ponds there are.

There are only 5 main lakes in the Quincy area though. Burke, Quincy, Dusty, Evergreen Reservoir and Stan Coffin. The first 3 are all managed for trout and were just rehabbed back in 05 or 06. There are some big fish in Burke and Dusty has tiger trout. So if you want some trout and bass or just a huge variety of fish almost in walking distance of each other, Quincy is the place for you.

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 pm

thanks everyone, I will be leaving in the morning. Will report back when I get back after the weekend.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sat May 17, 2008 7:07 am

Good luck Volk !
aka Powerworm

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Sun May 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Hope you had a good weekend fishing... it sure was hot over here..... a report would be great!!! I went up to Banks Lake, about an hour and a half to 2 hours from Wenatchee... the fishing was absolutely amazing!!! 64 bass.... mostly Smallmouth and some Largemouth!!!
Ozzie

<><

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Mon May 19, 2008 7:30 pm

just got back yesterday and wish I could have stayed longer. You're right, the weather was amazing (90's on saturday and high 80s on sun). I only had time to fish from about 930am-12pm sat morning. I ended up going to the pond that WCCT wrote about. Didn't have the time to try other ponds around the area. Saw mostly 1-3lb bass crusing the shallows, swimming right next to the smaller sunfish/bluegills/or whatever they were. I showed them various senkos, crankbaits, floating rapalas and spinnerbaits but not even a bite. However, I am sure my presentation skills are lacking so it might have been different if some of you others were fishing there. The only beds I could see were the sunfish beds that looked darker and rockier than the rest of the bottom.

Wish I had more time and a boat. My friend ended up golfing instead so I was stuck on the shore. Got a great tan from it though so can't complain too much. Thanks for all the advice guys. If any of you guys end up going here, please let me know how you do and how you caught them.

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Sat May 24, 2008 8:50 pm

some of my friends have been going down there and it has been tough..... they are seeing some nice bass like that cruising the shore lines and sitting on beds... but very few are hitting anything.... they are throwing everything at them but only catching 1 to 5 when they go.....
Ozzie

<><