Calif style swim baits

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lip Rippa
Petty Officer

Calif style swim baits

Post by Lip Rippa » Tue May 15, 2007 12:43 am

Has anyone tried and was successful at using the California style trout imitating swim baits? Those guys use the big 12" and under baits that mimic the stocked rainbows. Those guys kicks some serious "bass" with those. I figured if they work down there they should work up here on bass lakes that get stocked with 'bows. Now I know we don't have the Florida strain bass like them, but a 5 or 6 pounder here should bite a 6-9" bait. I bought a six inch segmented rainbow plug that I will try on a lake that I know bass up to 7 pounds exist.

gpc
Admiral

RE:Calif style swim baits

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 am

Ive never seen one face to face but they were using them on a fishing show and thats how I heard of them. They are fancy looking things and some are huge. How much did you pay for yours I heard they cost around $20. I cant spend more than $6 cuz Im going to loose it one way or another LOL. If I were to loose a $20 lure a tear would roll down my face. I know they use them for musky as well

Lip Rippa
Petty Officer

Post by Lip Rippa » Tue May 15, 2007 1:44 am

$11 on ebay. You can find some without the segmented bodies for around $8. I know that is alot for one lure but I figured if that bait can help me catch a 7 pounder it is worth it. Besides the one I bought is a floater so I have a better chance of retrieving it.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 10:27 am

Thats not as expensive as I thought.Yeah if it gets you that 7lb bass it would even be worth it to loose one, $22 for a bass that size isnt a bad price at all. Ive probally lost $500 in bass gear w/o catching a bass that big so $22 aint bad at all. Floating one huh, I didnt even know they had floating ones. Tell me how it works up here. If it works for bass itll work for walleye, Those fish are the best tasting fish in the world. Do you eat any bass or is it just for sport?

duff
Angler

Post by duff » Tue May 15, 2007 12:15 pm

I have just started using them here in WA tried them for a few months in CA when they first came out 1997ish. they are amazing to see in the water and i can see why the bass would eat them. the floating one is good for right after a stocking. I would recommend a ROF(rate of fall) 5 and 12 from HUDDelston also the BBZ-1. I have a HUDD ROF 5 get a strong rod and reel. ROD should be rated for 5+ OZ with some back bone. I recommend 7ft 6in or a bit bigger. do your research on ways to fish these things before you go out ant think cast and reel. I have had a few followers but no takers yet. you must be willing to spend some time using them before you figure it out. it is a good work out casting these things.

good luck and keep us posted on your luck if you get one......

duff

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 15, 2007 8:32 pm

I have tried just about every swimbait out there and spent the money to do so. When I lived in Cali that was all we would use to catch the monsters. Duff sounds like he knows what he is talking about. I like the ROF 5, and the ROF 12 to me, sinks and has to be retrieved to fast. I have lost $40 Huddlestons and gone swimming in after them to get'em back.](*,) I hope they do work up here because I have a whole arsenal full. From Hudds to Castaics. If someone starts tagging big bass on a trout swimbait I definitely want to know.
I've read the reason bass in the Northwest aren't caught on large swimbaits is because there main forage fish is not the trout. They like crappie, perch and sunfish over the large trout.
If this is the case I would recommend Mattlures swimbaits. AMAZING! life like resemblence of crappie and sunfish. These are the best for big mamas on beds. You can place them on the middle of a bed and they will sit face down like if they were eating her eggs.
Spend some time tossing a swimbait. I sure would like to see a fattie caught on a Hudd.
Here is just one of many. No better feeling.

fishnislife
Attachments
z5.jpg
z5.jpg (23.49 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
what5.jpg
what5.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lip Rippa
Petty Officer

Post by Lip Rippa » Tue May 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Fish thanks for the info and pics. I figure bass here there or anywhere will eat whatever they feel they can ambush without using too much energy. you say they don't usally eat trout but i betcha they do. not trying to argue. alot of the lakes around here have populations od cutties. i find it hard to believe bass won't chow on the young and or old/sick of these trout. with that said i think i will but a matts sunfish swimbait. I will definately let yall know if i hook one with the swimmers.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 15, 2007 9:25 pm

Please do!
I think some of the larger bass do feed on trout fry but I still don't know about 7-9" trout. If they do consume one of those big boys, they sure wouldn't need to eat for awhile. You are right about ambushing without expending a lot of energy. That's kind of why I think they go for the less agile forage. I will throw my Hudd a couple of times this year (when the situation is right) to see If I can answer some questions in my own mind. Do the same Lip.
The best deal on Mattlures is Tacklewarehouse.com. Matt Servant is a cool dude too. I remember when he was making them by hand and giving them away for people to try. He gave me my first one and I will never be able to re-pay him. So many big bass came on that lure. He has come a long way. Now they sell for 20 bones.
Good luck Lip Rippa keep in touch.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 15, 2007 9:43 pm

My fav.....
Attachments
female-bluegill_small.jpg
female-bluegill_small.jpg (5.98 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 15, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 9:46 pm

fishinislife

I dont blame you for taking a dip for a $40 plug. I never heard the swimbait head diving, crappie eating mamas eggs thing before. That would really piss off that bass and is a fore sure strike. I want to try one right now becuse of that comment and I dont even bass fish LOL. Thanks for the info

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 15, 2007 10:07 pm

No prob.
Here is the link to see how they sit when not retrieved.
http://www.mattlures.com/bluegillswimbait.htm
I have to give Matt props, he is the ultimate big bass fisherman. And a hard working man.

fishnislife

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 10:24 pm

WOW!!!!!!

That has got to be the realest looking plug Iv EVER seen. Iv seen blugill eating stuff of the bottom and that is an exact replica.

Matt is the man

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:42 am

Those swimbaits might work here for some bass..I'd like to know...I'd rather buy a few spinnerbaits then oneswimbait though...,
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Lip Rippa
Petty Officer

Post by Lip Rippa » Wed May 16, 2007 1:10 pm

Sam to each his own, but I am sure most bass in our lakes have probally seen a spinnerbait or two in its lifetime if not already this spring (unless it is a huge lake like Washington). The swimbaits are unique and very rare up here. Its something almost all of the bass here have not seen before. This potentially gives you a chance to catch bigger worrier bass. The key to catching big bass is give em something they haven't seen before, whether it is a diffrent lure or a diffrent way to work the same lures. You can only work a spinnerbait in so many ways before it becomes stale. BTW...I just purchased a 6" perch and a 5" Ultimate Bream from mattlures. I am going to throw those instead of and where I usually throw crankbaits this season.

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Wed May 16, 2007 5:09 pm

I didnt read much posted above but you guys should check out the Osprey. Otherwise the hudd is great but either way make sure you have the right setup for swimbaits. $250 isnt a lot of money for the combo when the baits are $40 each. Spend big....win big! No one ever said fishing was cheep.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu May 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Good pick up Lip Rippa. I know you'll do well with'em. Let me know when you tag a fattie on a Mattlure and which one you like best. Besides Huddleston, Mattlures is my go to swimbait.

fishnislife

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Wed May 23, 2007 3:05 am

danielt wrote:...Spend big....win big! No one ever said fishing was cheep.
i 2nd that

:)

gotta pay to play
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

Wilkstr
Petty Officer

Post by Wilkstr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:02 am

On the water with Hank Parker just this morning was in CA. fishing with these baits.... pretty interesting stuff.
<*)))))><

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:19 pm

I've been out scouting our local lakes and beyond for some answers to the big swimbait question. I have been tossing my SBT 4" baby bass around and have had only one strike but nothing stuck. About a week ago I was on the water and saw a slow, confused 8"-9" trout (might have been caught earlier, we were right by the public dock) as it was slowly moving thru the water a 2-3lb bass came up behind it and trailed it for a couple of feet. I was in awe of what was going on and waiting for the bass to inhale the trout. He checked it out for about 10 sec. then turned and went back to the shadows. I think he told himself it was to big of a meal. That day was a slow day on the water for me with the front that rolled in and high baro. I think on another day that trout would have been toast.
Also, I heard a story about some guys who were trout fishing and they had a stringer of trout in the water and the most recent catch was flopping around. Well, the trout attracted what they said was at least a 5lb bass which tried to inhale the trout on the stringer.
I think I will be dusting of my Hudd and Castaic Trout. I will be trying with confidence this summer for a monster.
I love tossing swimbaits.

fishnislife

Silent Angler
Petty Officer

Post by Silent Angler » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:59 pm

I just started throwing the spro's new swimbait: BBZ-1: the fast sink model. It was designed by Bill Siemantel. It is 8 inches long and very hefty.

I rig it up with the heavy action Mossyback flipping rod and 30 lbs. Fluoroclear by P-Line. I am all beef up and ready. The swimbait works very excellent and true in the water. I have been using it for several occassions for a month or two now. No takers yet. Am I doing something wrong?

I did throw it during the windy day and the water were mostly stained and somehat heavily stained from the rain. So far, I couldn't confirm by knowing when is the ideal time to throw my swimbait.

Anyone out there ever caught a lunker by throwing a big swimbait during the sunny and calm condition? Or even in the choppy and stained water too?

S.O.S.
Fishing is the life.