Bass Lure Colors

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cjrodarme
Petty Officer

Bass Lure Colors

Post by cjrodarme » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm

What colors of lures (in general) do you prefer for bass, natural patterns (bass, green, baitfish, etc.), or colorful patterns (red+white, orange, bright green)?

tooboocoo
Petty Officer

Re: Bass Lure Colors

Post by tooboocoo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:05 am

More importantly is what the bass prefer. I will use a purple cigarette filter if that's what they're hitting. IMHO, most lure offerings are meant to catch fisherman, not fish. My .02

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:59 am

I try to use natural colors most of the time, but a little blue or purple or chartreuse for contrast doesn't hurt in dirtier waters. Black/blue & green pumpkin are two that work pretty much anywhere. Pbj too.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:15 pm

253Caster wrote:I try to use natural colors most of the time, but a little blue or purple or chartreuse for contrast doesn't hurt in dirtier waters. Black/blue & green pumpkin are two that work pretty much anywhere. Pbj too.
Ditto.
I run brown, black or black/blue jigs
Most of my plastics are either black, purple or green pumpkin
All of my cranks and swimsuits match the lakes food forage
Crazy colors, body styles, look of baits are only to sell the bait
The best baits i have found to be natural in color and movement (with exception of the chatter bait)
The only pure white baits I have are spinnerbaits and a big jig used for lingcod that I throw for big bass in deep water

A cool video about Lure Colors and how they look at certain depths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpQTh_tnJ6c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plus the guy has a cool voice

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

capers26
Petty Officer

Post by capers26 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 am

In clear water I like browns, natural greens, perch, and silver/greys. In stained water I generally want anything I throw to be black with accents in purple, blue, brown and sometimes orange or red. Every once In a while I like to throw something brighter looking, especially when it comes to cranks and lures that I fish fast. I also like a touch of chartreuse when things are slow. Half of the time I feel like the color does not matter if you can work the lure right and put it right in a fishes face, but the other half of the time it seems like I won't get bit until I change colors.