Fluorocarbon vs Mono

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Fluorocarbon vs Mono

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm wondering how many of you use fluorocarbon or mono for drop shotting?

I've been tying a palomar knot with both mono and fluorocarbon and testing their ability to hold the true tensile strength. What I've found is the mono snaps away from the knot while the fluorocarbon snaps (much easier) at the knot every time. Anyone have any suggestions of a new knot to try for a drop-shot-rig or even any suggestions on good line to give a try? I'd like to stick with fluorocarbon but if it's going to cost me more $$$ and frustration with snapping off fish, I may just stick with mono.

I've use fluorocarbon before but not with a palomar knot so this is fairly new to me.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Fluorocarbon vs Mono

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:51 pm

I use P-Line floro and P-Line CX which is a copolymer that is floro coated, and Sun Line floro. The Palomar knot works great. I don't use mono.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Maybe get some spinshot swivel hooks by VMC, Decoy HD hook, or Gamakatsu twistfree finesse hooks-swivel shot octopus 316409. Cabella's, Tackle Warehouse, or maybe at Sportsman's Warehouse in Puyallup. Then use a clinch knot.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Maybe someone in the area or on base can show you how to tie a Polomar knot, there is a couple ways. If you can find the vid by Marc Marcantonio it'll help a lot. In the vid he shows you how to move the loop and place it over/ahead of the knot and it's stronger that way. The vid might be on Youtube. The manuvour is in the vid in the Bass Forum that was posted on his visit and demo/talk about dropshotting to the electric only boat Bass club. You'd have to check the Bass forum for that thread and watch those 2 vids.
Tom.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:33 pm

this club;

http://www.lakewoodmasterbassers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3 vids part 1, 2, and part 3 here;

https://plus.google.com/+TheLMBclub/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Braid to fluorocarbon leader. Gamakatsu size 4 to size 1 dropshot hook with a palomar and quikdrop swivel

ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Amx wrote:Maybe someone in the area or on base can show you how to tie a Polomar knot, there is a couple ways. If you can find the vid by Marc Marcantonio it'll help a lot. In the vid he shows you how to move the loop and place it over/ahead of the knot and it's stronger that way. The vid might be on Youtube. The manuvour is in the vid in the Bass Forum that was posted on his visit and demo/talk about dropshotting to the electric only boat Bass club. You'd have to check the Bass forum for that thread and watch those 2 vids.
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty competent in tying a palomar and I did see a new video that showed me the maneuver you're referencing. I just wasn't sure if there was a better knot to use with fluorocarbon in a drop shot set up. Like I mentioned before, I've never used a palomar with fluoro so it's new to me. I have used it on plenty of fly-fishing liters and for tip-it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:55 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Braid to fluorocarbon leader. Gamakatsu size 4 to size 1 dropshot hook with a palomar and quikdrop swivel
Yes braid works great, I like it better than just floro. I have it on one rod, my main dropshot rod. I use TuffLine 10 lb test Heavy Core, it sinks, yes it does, slowly, but as it goes under water, and under the water surface tension, it sinks a little faster. The leader length I use is about 5 to 6 feet between the braid to the hook, depending how far I can stretch out my arms on any given day. [biggrin] I use a double uni knot.The dropper/leader from hook to weight is from 10" to 12" normaly, but it can be from 6" to a couple feet as you want/need.
Tom.

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Amx wrote:
fishingmachine wrote: I use a double uni knot.
I only use braid as my main line drop shotting and I use Suffics 832 I think the # is, in 8lbs the dark green stuff. Great line. I never use any knot but the Crazy Alberto knot or also called the Improved Albright knot. This is by far and away the strongest knot to join braid to fluoro or mono that are near the same diameter. I use my Chinese Fool knot for tying braid to a much bigger fluoro or mono leader. But for near the same diameter lines the Crazy Alberto or just Alberto knot is almost twice as strong as the uni to uni and not any harder to tie, I think it's easier. You can find lots of guys tying this on u-Tube.

ImaFrayedKnot wrote: Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty competent in tying a Palomar and I did see a new video that showed me the maneuver you're referencing. I just wasn't sure if there was a better knot to use with fluorocarbon in a drop shot set up. Like I mentioned before, I've never used a Palomar with Fluoro so it's new to me. I have used it on plenty of fly-fishing liters and for tip-it.
I use about a 8 foot piece of 6 lb. Fluoro and tie either the double Palomar or my name sake knot the Fish-N-Fool knot. The Fish-N-Fool knot works very well as a drop shot knot when tied properly. It is very important when tying the Fish-N-Fool knot to not get the lines crossed on the hook eye.
Wrong way
Right way
As long as the lines stay parallel this knot can not be beat for strength. I just use 8 wraps with light lines instead of the normal 5 and put your tag end down through the hook eye just like with the Palomar. I only use the stand out hooks so it always is 90 degrees from the line. It is a bit more of a pain to tie as a drop shot rig then the Palomar pulling your 2 foot tag around the knot, so If I need to retie on the water I will go with the Double Palomar and after you make 2 overhand knots be sure to take the loop over the hook and up the line. This will make a small loop out of the overhand knot that you put your finger in and slid it up the line, lube and tighten it snug but not tight. Then re-lube and pull it down to the hook eye. If you tie it this way I think you will have better results. I go with the Fish-n-Fool knot that I tie the nite before first as no knot can beat it for strength and if I don't have to retie all day I have a super strong knot. I like to run a 2 foot tag for my weight if I'm fishing an area that is not prone to snag I use a piece of hollow pencil lead that I slid up the line a crimp in place. That way i can adjust the height of my bait quick and easy and they are very cheap. If I'm fishing boulders that eat weights I use a walleye crawler weight on the wire with the top short wire cut off. It is very hard to hang one of these up as long as you don't let the line go totally slack.

Last edited by Fish-N-Fool on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:55 am

Super helpful Fish-n-Fool! I appreciate the response!