Jerkbaits

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Jerkbaits

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:01 pm

My father-in-law, who lives in S. California, swears by jerkbaits. I'm curious if anyone around these parts use em and how well they work. I'm new to the area and am trying to build up a good variety to my arsenal and wondering if it'd be worth my time to invest in em. From most of the information I've gathered, it seems like a lot people around here drop-shot, top water and it seems like spinners are pretty popular.

I understand there's always a time and place for different techniques and being versatile is pretty important to finding success... but again, I'm just wondering if anyone around here finds success with jerkbaits. Thanks in advance for any help.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Jerkbaits

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Yup, work very good around this state. The best, so I've heard is the Vision One-Ten And Vision One-Ten +1 for a little deeper. In Gill, GP Sexy Shad, and GP Pro Blue. Other colors should also work.

Other brands work fine also.
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Please explain Jerk baits, I'm old but never to old to learn some thing new.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:46 pm

crankbait = cast it,crank it down, and keep cranking

in comparison a jerk bait is = cast it, crank it so it achieves it's depth, say 3 feet or 6 feet, or deeper, depending on the model.

Then you let it suspend, then give it a jerk, let it suspend, give it a jerk, and keep on doing that until you've fished it thru the fish zone where you think the fish should be, say along side a dock/weeds/pads, over rock, gravel, wood. And yes it can catch suspending fish over deep water.

The colder the water, fall, winter, spring, the longer the pause should be, to give the fish time to decide to come and get it.

Check out some videos on Youtube. Might be a vid here on WaLakes too.
Tom.

Interests: living

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:17 am

Some of the best action I've had is ripping jerk baits.

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Jerk Baits are one of the best tools to use for smallmouth bass in this state. Have caught bass up to 7 lbs on them. We carry a complete line of Jerk Baits here at Limit Out Marine including Lucky Craft, Megabass 110 Visions, Spro, etc.

You want a good deal on Jerk Baits come to our 12 deals of Christmas sale on December 11th at Limit Out Marine.

angry john
Petty Officer

Post by angry john » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Amx wrote:Yup, work very good around this state. The best, so I've heard is the Vision One-Ten And Vision One-Ten +1 for a little deeper. In Gill, GP Sexy Shad, and GP Pro Blue. Other colors should also work.

Other brands work fine also.
The rick chun rc stx work just fine and are dirt cheap. I got a few on his pro blue and if it does not work out well for you then not a lot of money spent. I have only had the clear baits work but i have not spent a bunch of time fishing them here yet as its my first year living in WA. DUO, and Lucky Craft make good baits also!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:39 pm

I love jerkbaits. I fish from a tube and have gone behind guys in boats and hooked up with a jerkbait after they fished the area with whatever they were throwing. Very effective. My favorite is one from Kinami Lures... Yamamoto's sons line. Not sure it's even produced anymore. My other favorite is a Lucky Craft Pointer. I toss em all year.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:13 pm

My favorite is the Husky Jerk by Rapala and the Cultiva minnow because they work and they don't cost 25 bucks a bait like the Vision 110. The 7 " Husky Jerk in perch color is a great Pike bait as well