Do plastic worms actually work?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
whorde
Petty Officer

Re: Do plastic worms actually work?

Post by whorde » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 am

I would like to catch a monster largemouth bass, so I'm going to keep at it here or there, but it's really hard to justify sacrificing catching 20, or even 100, other fish, to pound away at a method that has been highly unsuccessful. It's just not fun. There are definitely bass in Ballinger, and in Phantom, but maybe just not enough. Maybe I need to go to a lake where there's nothing other than bass. I did get 1 recommendation which I will leave a mystery for now, which I could potentially try next Saturday. Is dawn better for largemouth, or is dusk?

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Dawn or dusk...either or. This time of year is a good time to catch a big fish. Get out and fish and have confidence.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:37 am

Make sure to not eliminate topwater from your arsenal. This fish choked a frog

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 am

Use what you believe in, then target structure of various sorts. Don't get stuck on one method or another, unless you really want to learn it, but then return to variety. Just caught a 7 lb largemouth on a 3" plastic mounted on a jighead, on 4 lb test, and that isn't uncommon. That's what makes fishing interesting, finding the pattern of the day, or hour. The most recent trip you had to fish exactly at 20' for bass of both types and walleye. Elsewhere it was all dinks. The week before it was 17' on the same lake, but you could catch decent ones shallow once in a while. Adapt and thrive!

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:45 am

We have a seminar at Limit Out Marine this next week on the 24th from 6-9 PM to discuss Basics of Bass fishing. This seminar is free to all. Come learn about plastics, top water, rods, reels, etc. for bass fishing.

If someone told you top water does not work in August you are seeing the wrong fishing store.

Russ Baker

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:38 am

or even September!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 pm

whorde wrote:Hmmm ... apparently I am not getting notifications of responses, as I just randomly found this and the responses are 18 deep.
Go to the top of the page you are reading, which would be THIS page. :-)

Look for these words across the dark portion;

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

Click on 'active topics'

then make a 'short cut' on your desk top.

That way you'll see EVERY topic in EVERY forum that has a new reply to it since the last time you signed on/opened the web site/page. Then you can just pick and choose which new replies/threads/forums to read.

That is what I do, don't have to go to every forum to see if there are new replies.
Tom.

Interests: living

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:47 pm

whorde wrote:So ... I was talked into buying a bag of big plastic worms, and a huge hook to put them on. Guy told me this time of year the bass are toward the bottom, not just lurking under the pads, so top water not the right call in August.

From the perspective of does it work technically, yes, I have yet to lose the first worm in a few hundred casts. It's a little tore up, but it does not snag on weeds much, and when it does it pulls out easily. But I have had 1 maybe for a bite from a fish with any size. I've had a few nibbles, probably from perch I'm guessing, to the point that recently I rigged it up so it has a second small hook toward the tail of the worm.

Long story short, does this thing actually catch bass? I pitch it out to the lily pads, let it sink, try to move it slowly and randomly back along the bottom. Clearly fish see it, as I get hits from minnows of some sort, but I want to know if a bass will actually take this thing.

Tried it in Larsen, Boren, Ballinger, Phantom.

Thanks.
I used to fish Ballinger as a kid about 45 years ago and it is where I learned to love bass fishing. I still remember my first bass I caught there, a huge 4 pound plus Largey on a purple worm on a weedless wire hook and a bullet weight. So YES worms catch fish 45 years ago and today. In my opinion you can't beat the heavy salt plastic baits like my Sink-N-Fool bait and to a lesser degree the Senko type baits. Fish them tex-posed or wacky you will catch fish and big one too.