New to bass fishing please help?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Re: New to bass fishing please help?

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Went and tried the new Zappa jig heads and the jackall worms. Caught 10 fish at loma from 7-8:15. Also tried the panic minnows on a drop shot rig with the stand out hooks. Didn't get anything in the drop shot but I wasn't really expecting to. I caught all 10 fish in less than 3 ft of water. Caught 2 over 2 lbs. 8 dinks

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Are there any good smallmouth lakes other than goodwin in snohomish county?
Last edited by Skunkedtoomuch on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 am

Lake Stevens has SMB.
Last edited by dutchman2858 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:23 pm

My boat wouldn't do well on stevens. Fished loma again. Bite was great till it got windy. Then nothing for 2 hours. 16 total biggest were a couple 2 lbers. Going to either Crabapple or ki next. Anybody fish either of those? Which is a better fishery?

eightballsaul
Petty Officer

Post by eightballsaul » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:12 pm

You guys are getting way to technical for a beginner to understand. Nick, you are just going to have to get out and experiment. My favorite bass bait is a shakes head. It is a lead headed jig hook used with a floating plastic worm. I have caught hundreds of bass on this one rig. Easy to use. When you cast it out let it sink to the bottom. Then jig it up and down. Jig it up and let it fall shake it a little when it is on the bottom to give the worm some action. Similar to a Texas rig only the lead pulls it down and the worm will stand up tail end up so wiggle it. Experiment with weights and colors. You will figure it out. Remember, everyone is an expert. You don't have to spend a ton of cash on this stuff, although once you get into it you will wind up doing just that. Play around with it.

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Great advice eightballsaul. Getting out and trying new rigs and techniques is the best and most enjoyable way to learn, in my humble opinion. The k.i.s.s. (keep it simple stupid) method is by far the best for beginners. Here's another easy to use rig. Get some 4" tube jigs and lead head jigs (not painted just plain). I use 1/4 and 1/2 oz jigs depending on depth, current, and wind. Insert the jig head into the tube and push the jig eye out the front of the tube and tie it on. I have found tube weights at a local store or Texas rig that you can rig weedless. Cast in out and let it sink to the bottom. Now drag and bounce it along the bottom back to you. I usually use this along rip rap or larger rock pile for smallies. Be prepare to loose some that get snagged until you get the feel for it. Also, good fresh line is important and watch you line as the rocks will chew it up. You will want to try different colors, but smoke with red flake has never let me down. Good luck.
Any time fishing is time well spent.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:41 am

Thanks for the advice guys. What I've found to work best for me so far has been a skinny worm, like a zoom finesse on a 1/32 jighead made for whacky style fishing. Will def try the shaky head method this week. When using a jighead with the tubes do you make it weedless? I've found the best color for ke has been black with blue or red sparkles

eightballsaul
Petty Officer

Post by eightballsaul » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 pm

See what I mean. Your already learning new things and getting the hang of experimenting. A big part of bass fishing, especially on a new or unfamiliar lake is finding the pattern that works that day. That is why it is so much fun! Use that same finesse worm on a 1/4 oz jig head. There's your shakes head. Have fun and good luck.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Hey eight how exactly do you rigged if for a finesse style

eightballsaul
Petty Officer

Post by eightballsaul » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:46 pm

You rig it the same as any other worm. The finesse worm will float tail up. Other worms will lay down as you jig the lead head.i use a jig head with a screw for the worm. Screw the worm on the head and run the hook into the worm so it Is strait. Much like a Texas rig.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 am

Awesome thanks. Tried the shaky head a little in a old jig head but worm only wanted to fall off. Water was so cloudy after this big rain. We got 3 tho. 2 on spinnerbaits. First fish this yr not on a plastic worm. The 3rd was on a worm. New color worked. Zoom finesse in plum.

eightballsaul
Petty Officer

Post by eightballsaul » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Cool! Good luck and have fun.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Would goodwin be fish able without a outboard motor? If so I really want to go there. Anybody fish that lake and have any spots I may look for smallies?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 am

Do you have an electric motor? If not you can just paddle along the shoreline from the launch in either direction.
Tom.

Interests: living

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Yup I got one. Going to goodwin tomorrow. Finally got to use my panic minnows on a drop shot and caught a nice 3lb smallie outta pine today. All in all another great day of bass fishing. 27 bass today.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:14 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (127.72 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Went to goodwin today. 18 total and my buddy from Tennessee caught the hawg in the pic. I met him at cabelas bout 3 days ago. He's in the navy and has bass fished his entire life. So I made a friend. My buddy and I had caught about 8-10 total on a wacky worm right. Well Tennessee said he has never caught anything on a wacky rig. But he was like if it's working can I borrow one. 2 min later FISH ON. About 4 min later he landed this beast. Great day until the 5million pleasure boats blast past us and within 10 ft of our boats to boot. They are very in inconsiderate!!

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Skunkedtoomuch wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. What I've found to work best for me so far has been a skinny worm, like a zoom finesse on a 1/32 jighead made for whacky style fishing. Will def try the shaky head method this week. When using a jighead with the tubes do you make it weedless? I've found the best color for ke has been black with blue or red sparkles
I usually do go weedless unless the fish are not hitting hard then the exposed hook seems to work better. Another thing is after you cast and the tube hits bottom watch you line, sometimes the bass will just pick it up and move around. You won't feel the bite, but your line will move or tighten for no apparent reason, set the hook. Colors will vary from place to place but I generally start with what has worked well before, but don't get stuck on a single color or technique. Always try something new and give it you best when you do. Your attitude will affect your fishing, being positive and trying your best will always give better results than negativity and lack luster effort. Looks like you are doing pretty good so keep it up.
Any time fishing is time well spent.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:10 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (32.79 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Another trip to goodwin another nice smallie. 3lbs this time.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Bass fishing for me continues to be pretty good. Caught a 2.5 LMB on a frog at roesinger, along with a few other smaller guys. I know there's huge fish in that lake. Then went to goodwin Sunday and had a 15 fish day with a smallie right about 3lb as the biggest. Met a member there and he showed us a great hump that we are gonna fish tomorrow. He caught a 4 and 3.5 on 2 casts there. My buddy just got a depth finder who has
Proven to make fishing much easier. Bought a baitcaster and pole and haven't touched my spinning rods since. This has been one helluva summer.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:51 am

So I decided to enter the tourney at goodwin at the end of sept. So until then I will only be fishing goodwin. Although it's such nonsense that it cost me $7 bucks. Are there still big LMB in that lake. I only seem to catch babies.