Late Summer Bass Fishing

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ChrisB
Captain

Re: Late Summer Bass Fishing

Post by ChrisB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Every lake in Pierce Co is good for bass. Which lakes do you live by ?

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:48 pm

I live within walking distance of Bradley Lake/Pond and have fished it out pretty good. I did manage to hook a lil .5 lb largie outta there lol.

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Frog fishing with mono is a heartbreak waiting to happen. It is difficult to get the hookset needed for frog fishing with mono because it is too stretchy, 6lb is also wayy too light for the type of fish that eat frogs. To get the hookset you need for frog fishing, your reel should have its drag locked all the way down. With the drag locked down, even a 3-4 lber could snap your line pretty easily. One way I found to get braid cheaper is to just get your reel loaded by a tackle shop (i get mine at 3 rivers) They charge like 10-14 cents a yard and it ends up being wayyy cheaper like 5-7 bucks per reel. Also, you should invest in a decent frog like livetarget or a pad crasher (livetargets better) if you have 30-50lb braid you won't lose anymore frogs! hope this helps.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Makes me want to go frogging tomorrow. Oh ya. I am going fishing tomorrow. Guess I'd better start at the pads for a change. [laugh]

I used 20 lb mono for MANY years. Last summer, mid/late summer I changed over to 50 lb braid, seemed to work just fine on the fish I caught in the pads. The line is straighter because of no curlies as there is no memory. So the cast is longer and more acurite. The culies will throw off the accuritcy. Frogs, buzzbaits, and sluggos.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Well, I just got back from fishing. Image Found them in the freezer, stuck them on a hook, wiggled them a little and then stuck them in the oven. Oh, they are called 'fish sticks'. Image
Tom.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:55 pm

I cant stress enough the need for heavy braid frogging. Frog hooks are very thick so you need the no stretch to drive em home. Also the abraision resistance as well as the braid being able to cut through vegetation. I use 65lb only. Never had any fish break me off. I havent even retied in the past two trips with 5 fish over 5lbs in the boat.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:28 pm

6lb test?!!!!
[-(
braid is a MUST.

Got on an awesome frog bite today, fish were very aggressive.
I was getting worried w/ 50lb, hauling the fish over the thicker pads was nerve-racking. I was stubborn earlier this yr and got 50lb again, after today especially, I will be doing 65lb for both frogging and punching as well as a new rod.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Amx wrote:Well, I just got back from fishing. Image Found them in the freezer, stuck them on a hook, wiggled them a little and then stuck them in the oven. Oh, they are called 'fish sticks'. Image

Did you have tartar sauce?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:14 am

rl206 wrote:
Amx wrote:Well, I just got back from fishing. Image Found them in the freezer, stuck them on a hook, wiggled them a little and then stuck them in the oven. Oh, they are called 'fish sticks'. Image

Did you have tartar sauce?
Na, just catsup. 8-[
Tom.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 am

Dont forget about the power of Cranking for late summer Largemouth :
Attachments
POTHOLES AUG 2012.jpg
POTHOLES AUG 2012.jpg (54.29 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 am

Nice fish! Thats actually one thing I've never been able to dial in very well. I usually throw crankbaits around docks and shoreline structure. I've had a little success with that , but deep/mid depth cranking has always stumped me. :P

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:55 am

Find 'stuff' on the bottom to cast a crank to, like ledges, rocks, brush pile, perch//bluegill/trout schools, and of course outside and inside weedlines. Dropoffs, points, anything that is a corner or edge of any kind. Same stuff lots of people throw jig, carolina rigs, and dropshot at. If the fish are active they'll come and get it, if not, then throw the slow stuff at the spots.
Tom.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:12 pm

clarkhess122 wrote:Nice fish! Thats actually one thing I've never been able to dial in very well. I usually throw crankbaits around docks and shoreline structure. I've had a little success with that , but deep/mid depth cranking has always stumped me. :P
ClarkHess ,

Hey bud i just did a seminar on summer cranking and topwaters down at limit out a few weeks ago . One piece of advise that i can offer everyone about late summertime cranking is too first stop "looking" for structure to make cast at !!

This time of the year i like to fan cast my crank over deep water primarily in search for a off shore hump , island , hugh rocks etc .
Once i located these forms of structure i will continue to make many cast all over it from many differant directions attempting to create a "reaction strike " 90% of time an angler can pull 2-4 bass off the cover if properly worked .

As for smallmouth cranking in the summer , I really like to fish the outter weed edges that extends out into deep dropoffs . You would be surprized at the amount of smallies that will suspend next to these areas during the summer months .
In this scenario you can sit in 25-28ft of water and make multiple casts paralleling the weed edges .
I usually start out with a crankbait that will get down 10-12ft (burn ~ it) untill i get a strike , sometime you may have too chucnk a deep crankbait that will get down 12-16th (let the fish tell ya)
Keep in mind regarding too smallmouth cranking , you dont need to run or deflect you crankbait into any form of cover in order too get a reaction strike from those suspended fish during the summer months,in most cases they are already in ambush mode on the weed walls .

Hope this keeps a little bit , good luck out there :salut:

BBD

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 am

Yeah I know, unfortunately I was out of town and missed it. :( Thanks so much for summarizing here. I'm excited to get out there and give it a try!
Thanks again,
Clark

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:00 am

clarkhess122 wrote:Yeah I know, unfortunately I was out of town and missed it. :( Thanks so much for summarizing here. I'm excited to get out there and give it a try!
Thanks again,
Clark

Clark , One more important factor that is a make or break deal on the water is about your reel selection .One of the biggest mistake you can make while cranking is using a reel with a high gear ratio like 6.4:1 or 7.0:1
Keep in mind that one of your goals is to keep your crank in the "strike zone" for as long as possible during your retrieve . The higher gear ratio reels will not allow you to do this because it will simply move your bait faster than required and due to that you will miss out on strikes . In most cases a good general rule of thumb is too use a reel ratio with at least 5.4:1 ratio , this will allow that crank too stay in the strike zone much longer period [thumbup] Good luck and keep us posted on your results bud :fish:

BBD