Favorite bass lures

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
3footvis
Warrant Officer

Re: Favorite bass lures

Post by 3footvis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Roboworm

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:24 pm

I still have my old habits....my favorite is spinnerbaits followed by cranks. I'm still trying
to gain proper techniques and confidence with various plastics. I just need to be more patient with them,infact,I should
just take some trips and leave the spinnerbaits and cranks at home,then I would be forced to become more familar with
plastics.

JS
Petty Officer

Post by JS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Jigs and frogs are big fish baits for sure. Not to say that they wont catch small fish too [biggrin]. My best fish have all come on these baits. Confidence in your lure/presentation has alot to do with the success rate in my opinion, no matter what the lure/presentation actually is. Good luck!

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Handtied flippin jig made by my buddy.
Koppers Frog.
Spinnerbait, rattletraps, and jerkbaits have accounted for alot of my good fish this year

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm not much of a bassmaster but do pretty well on them in a few beaver ponds and small lakes on mepps spinners and panther martins.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm

custom handtied flippin jigs made by my buddy.
Koppers frog.
Spinnerbait
Lucky Craft pointer which just caught my last 5+lb smallie.
Rattletrap

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 pm

I love every bait I toss for bass, but for for sheer heart stopping fun, any topwater. For me it can't be beat.

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Thu May 03, 2012 7:57 am

JIg, Jigs, Jigs,, and more Jigs.. But not just any jig, it has to be a J&J Tackle jig..
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

johnsgonefishin
Petty Officer

Post by johnsgonefishin » Thu May 03, 2012 6:42 pm

The following are some of my favorites:

Jitterbugs, oldie but a goodie
Senkos 5 inch for lmb 4 inch whacky for smb
Big Jigs(1/2 oz) with Big Trailers for trophy size lmb
Top water frogs like koppers live target
Large swimbaits for trophy sized lmb(Sebile magic swimmer is a goto for me)
Jerkbaits -luckycraft
Dropshot roboworm or shakeyhead jig roboworm
lipless cranks
dahlburg diving frog

Fishing top water is my favorite for the exhilaration of the top water bite. The dahlburg frog is one of the most fun lures to fish cause it can be either top water or you can pull it fast and it will dive a few feet and it looks so real in the water and I have had quite a few nice fish on mine.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Ok, I'll go ahead and throw in my selection, I wasn't going to as you'll soon see, it changes any given decade;

currently: crankbaits, before that spinnerbaits, before that grubs on 1/8th oz round head jig, before that worms and lizards. All while using the other mentioned lures at any given time. And topwater lures are always what I usually try first any give time and place.

Flippin jigs, worms and tubes I did now and then. Haven't flipped using the flippin sticks in a few years. Jerkbaits work, need to use them much more often. Swimbaits, never used, have some now, will try them this summer, the one I tied on the other day looked good in the water, but no bites.

I NEVER got into large skirted jigs to any great amount, usually threw them for a half hour, if that, then go to whatever my favorite bait was during any given decade.

Am doing ok with dropshot and need to do it more this summer. Senkos work for me, but need to go back to worms and lizs again just for the heck of it. Going to do more flyfishing this summer, yes for bass, that's all I fish for.
Tom.

Interests: living

jjbowler
Angler

Post by jjbowler » Sat May 05, 2012 4:43 pm

When the water is 60 degrees or warmer there's nothing more effective around cover or docks then a weightless zoom fluke! Preferably in watermelon seed color

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

Ribbit Ribbit Ribbit By far most favorite though am trying not to lean on them this year like I had last year. In doing so it is seeming I am being more productive out on the waer but they are still my favorite!

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Wed May 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Hey Amx, I have some mouse flies I got a few years ago that I've never tried. Let me know if you want to try one out.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed May 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Eoso wrote:Hey Amx, I have some mouse flies I got a few years ago that I've never tried. Let me know if you want to try one out.

Sure. Seems I still can't find my little box of streamers and such. Only the little tube with poppers in it. They look good.
Tom.

chewbaby76
Angler

Post by chewbaby76 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 pm

narrows11 wrote:ive mainly used plastic worms and some jigs for bass but was wondering if Craink Baits are better? anyTips?
well one of the best lure for bass is a pig n jig i have found the puple to work really well, also topwater is a great idea also .Especialli early morning and sunset, they love it

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 am

Amx

If your going to fly fish for bass. Little streamers are not going to get the attention of the big girls,, you still need to think large like the fly below. I fish these type of flies when I throw a fly rod..

I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 am

Jigking Fishhead wrote:Amx

If your going to fly fish for bass. Little streamers are not going to get the attention of the big girls,, you still need to think large like the fly below. I fish these type of flies when I throw a fly rod..

Thanks for that picture. Ya, I'll need to get some of those. I did find my 2 little boxes yesterday so I'm set, sorta. lol
Tom.