Quality over Quantity?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JS
Petty Officer

Quality over Quantity?

Post by JS » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Is it me or has it been easier to catch quality over quantity in the past few weeks? I dont seem to catch a ton of fish, but the ones i do catch are decent. Maybe i am just using too big of baits...:-"
Last edited by JS on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Quality over Quantity?

Post by Amx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:54 pm

I usually catch lots, or quite a few, but nothing big, usually.
Tom.

Interests: living

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 pm

You Suck Josh! Why did I go to work today[cursing] Yea seems like you catch all the quality and I am left with some quantity [lol]

JS
Petty Officer

Post by JS » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Yeah you should have called in sick! You will get a good one soon.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:16 pm

most the time when i go to the lake i have the one big fish mentality and tend to base my lure selection based on that. Do i catch small fish on the bigger baits yes but i dont nearly as often as throwing smaller baits.
Last edited by fishingmachine on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 pm

I here ya! All I get are these little bass.
Last edited by The HAWG HUNTER on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:23 am

Fill us in Youschucks, what are you catching and how big of bait is big ? :-" Your avatar pic is a nice fish.
edit- just saw a pair of your fish on the picture board, that fish got fat real quick.
Last edited by ChrisB on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

JS
Petty Officer

Post by JS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:03 am

ChrisB wrote:Fill us in Youschucks, what are you catching and how big of bait is big ? :-" Your avatar pic is a nice fish.
edit- just saw a pair of your fish on the picture board, that fish got fat real quick.
What you see is what ive been catching. Nothing outrageous, just good quality fish.
Maybe it isnt the lures i am using, maybe i am just fishing in the right spots...:-k
Oh and the fish pic on the board you saw, that fatty was eating lots of frogs i assume because it sure hammered mine!:thumright

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:42 pm

It's all about being in the right place, at the right time, with the right bait. Bass fishing can be a game of inches. One guys can go through an area, fish it pretty thoroughly, and not get bit. Someone can follow and get there bait in a slightly different spot, or at a slightly different angle,and wham! It can also work the opposite, where one guy can fish an area, not catch a fish, but shut it down for those who follow. Bass fishing will never not be a learning experience for me, cause just when you think you got something figured out....it can change right quick.
But, for the most part, I'm with you on this year in general. I've caught more big fish this year, than any year previous. Broken my personal best a couple of times, and taken 5 of 6 big fish pots at my club tourneys, so I would say it's been a pretty great year in my book.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:51 pm

also one person can go thru an area, the fish aren't biting for anything, then minutes later turn on and the next guy reaps all the benefits. Or the fish move in, or move out and 1 person is there when it happens and the other person isn't there at the correct time. just one of the many reasons bass fishing is best, the puzzle.
Tom.

Interests: living

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Memorial Day weekend- caught a couple pigs, a few medium, and a lot of dinks.

Last weekend at the same lake- no pigs, but quite a few medium, and a lot less dinks.

So yea, besides not catching the pigs, the medium 2-3lb were more, and there were less -1lb

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Amx wrote:also one person can go thru an area, the fish aren't biting for anything, then minutes later turn on and the next guy reaps all the benefits. Or the fish move in, or move out and 1 person is there when it happens and the other person isn't there at the correct time. just one of the many reasons bass fishing is best, the puzzle.
Right on the money. I fish a certain spot on a certain lake. Go through it first thing nothing come back a half hour later and bam pull a few out of there. Works the other way also. Been down for me this year. Start of the year it was nothing but 3 to 6 lb fish. Now nothing over 2 to 3 lbs.

Bassmaster3000
Petty Officer

Post by Bassmaster3000 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:25 pm

I haven't caught very many high numbers this year. Mainly just quality. Drop shotting has been great to me. Not many numbers, but thats okay, i'd rather have quality. Got my PB smallmouth about a week ago on a drop shot!
AKA: J-Dawg

Who need's goldbacks or silverbacks? I'll take BRONZEBACKS!!!
BASSMASTER YOUTH MEMBER
REMEMBER TO CATCH AND REALEASE!!!!!!!

Camron
Warrant Officer

Post by Camron » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:27 pm

All quanity for me. 19 small mouth the other day. All bout foot and ahalf they wernt worth weighing.