Boat Docks For Bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spindog
Commander

RE:Boat Docks For Bass

Post by spindog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:36 am

This past Saturday I was doing alot of dock fishing, the bass were there but I was fighting the wind
and big bass would swim right out and up to my boat.
I'd try to be stealthy but the wind would blow me right in to the zone where the bass could see me.
Mostly I was seen by all bass I encountered. One of my most frustrating and unproductive days I've
ever had. Typically Bass holding along docks I nail, boy Saturday sure was weird. I'm not a big fan of
anchors, sure seems I should have used it.
Having luck on docks, lets hear!
Last edited by spindog on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Different bass use docks for different reasons, expecialy this time of year. Pre-spawn/looking for a bed/making a bed/waiting for their girlfriend and they aren't usually going to bite even if they don't see you, they don't even care that you are there. A hungry fish can bite even if they DO see you. Just have to keep trying.
Tom.

Interests: living

Cman2007
Warrant Officer

Post by Cman2007 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Put the trolling motor down an fish as many docks as possible, learn to skip a jig an beaver on casting gear.
Clark Korper 16 yrs old
Auburn Sports & Marine
G.Loomis/Shimano

Bass Member
FLW Member
TBF Member

EAT.SLEEP.FISH

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Hey Spindog, Most of the lakes Ive been fishing lately haven't had much in docks, Silver, Palmer, Roosevelt but hit Washington Saturday and it was fun workin em again with some success. Good luck

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:39 am

basser90 wrote:Hey Spindog, Most of the lakes Ive been fishing lately haven't had much in docks, Silver, Palmer, Roosevelt but hit Washington Saturday and it was fun workin em again with some success. Good luck
Thanks basser, sounds like you've been fishing some cool lakes. Good to hear your
gettn into some docks, they are sure fun to work over.
Good luck!!
Cast first, worry later.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Good topic,,

Over here on the east side of the cascades, our docks do not have any type of support structure, they just float due to the lake freezing and the change in water level.
Do these kinds of docks also support the type of fishery you guys are discussing?

Thank you

Kevin

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Oh ya. I fish alot of local lakes for largies in the summer in my small boat or tube. Even though the fish are around docks as well, We've pulled fish from under almost every floating raft on the lake. When conditions were right, you would approach one knowing there's one under there. I never pass one up even on the big lakes. Might be a nice smallie under there

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:24 pm

basser90 wrote:Oh ya. I fish alot of local lakes for largies in the summer in my small boat or tube. Even though the fish are around docks as well, We've pulled fish from under almost every floating raft on the lake. When conditions were right, you would approach one knowing there's one under there. I never pass one up even on the big lakes. Might be a nice smallie under there
Ive never met a nice smallie haha like a pitbull of fish lol
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
basser90 wrote:Oh ya. I fish alot of local lakes for largies in the summer in my small boat or tube. Even though the fish are around docks as well, We've pulled fish from under almost every floating raft on the lake. When conditions were right, you would approach one knowing there's one under there. I never pass one up even on the big lakes. Might be a nice smallie under there
Ive never met a nice smallie haha like a pitbull of fish lol
Yes they are! A few years ago on Lake WaWa I had a small Smallie torpedo my boat, had to check for cracks and a hole when I got to the launch.
Tom.

Interests: living

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Good point. Aint it the truth. Tom, That happened with about a 3# trout at Jamison years ago. We were lazily trout fishing on the bottom with anchor down and my Dad didn't even know it was on. Took the bait and went straight up and clobbered my Livingston. Scared the crap out of me. Good times.

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:42 pm

At the lake I do most of my fishing like 3 5+ lb. bass hang out under the main fishing dock and take the stocker trout off of peoples lines...funny as heck to watch it happen!:)
Clark Hess:
Born to fish, forced to work.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:37 pm

That's how I caught my first steelhead many years ago. I was catching small trout on the N.fork Skykomish with grasshoppers and a big ole steelhead was swiping at my small trout. Went back to the same spot a couple days later and second cast caught it on a big red and white spoon. 6# test on a 6' yellow Eagleclaw and Mithchell 300 :thumright

spindog
Commander

Re: Boat Docks For Bass

Post by spindog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:34 am

This is my favorite period, coming out of the cold water period of winter moving into the cold water of spring!
I have caught numbers of large LMB under docks during this cold water period.
The biggest coldwater bass from dock areas would be around 8lbs. Years past this occurs even with a little snow
in peoples yards!
I needed a Bass thread!! [woot]
Cast first, worry later.

spindog
Commander

Re: Boat Docks For Bass

Post by spindog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:05 am

spindog wrote:Boat docks are great early season cover and stucture. What makes a good dock? Ive had the best luck on docks that are most complex, different sections, boat houses and boat lifts. Docks that are low to the water surface tend to produce best, they offer more shade and cover. Sometimes docks that are isolated from other docks may be most attractive because its the only available dock in the area.
Most of the time, rather than the particular dock, it comes down to the bottom type [composition] and water depth.
Prior to spawning, groups of bass tend to cruise from dock to dock, and will typically hold on particular docks during mid day sun. During cloudy conditions the bass. tend to be more on the move.
When fishing docks I try and skip small platics way up under the most recessed portions of the docks. The most important thing is if you see a fish-dont cast right on her noggin. Usually I'll cruise along with the trolling motor looking for fish, on a clear water lake you can see these fish with your eyeballs. Then I'll come back to these fish holding docks and make some casts.
Fishing docks takes stealth, dont get to close and if a fish swims out and sees you- its over, leave the area and come back later.
Docks provide excellent cover, sructure and spawning areas. Use some common sense, docks are private property fish them with respect.
March thread, and now we're back to March again :cheers: , early season Docks [ to the day ! ], definitely a sign, can you say Basssss Buggggg.
I love fishing docks, best place to start looking for biters!
Cast first, worry later.