Smallies VS. Largies

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BASSMIGNON
Angler

RE:Smallies VS. Largies

Post by BASSMIGNON » Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 am

tagwatson360 wrote:
BentRod wrote:Having only caught bass in Washington, I am also of the opinion that SMB are stronger fighters. However, I do think that LMB are more entertaining due to the topwater action. I find I tend to enjoy fishing for SMB more than LMB due to the fight. JM2C [wink]
The topwater action for smallmouth can be phenomenal. It is one of the best methods for catching big smallmouth as well. Give it a try now through September.
Is topwater action for smallies good during the spawn? I know after "guarding fry "is phenomenal. Do you fish it different now vs. 1-2 months from now? Maybe stick to long points ie spawning flats, and anywhere you know of spawning grounds on the water you are fishing.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 am

natetreat wrote:I'd be happy with ten fourteen inchers of either at this point.
Im guessing your entered in the FNF Derby?

Thanks For The Info Guys !
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 am

I prefer the fight of a largemouth. They are better in terms of pure weight on the line. Smallmouth tend to go more ballistic in terms of up and down and side to side, but a largemouth in shallow water will try to bury itself in whatever's on the bottom and trying to horse them out of it is the most fun you can have fishing personally. Smallmouth will often do you a favor by heading for deep water when hooked. That said, catching either is pretty much my favorite thing to do ever in the universe.

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Thu May 19, 2011 3:42 am

Last month on Goodwin I got a 3.6 & 4.8 smb, and a 5.7 lmb, and both of the smallies put up a way bigger fight than the lmb. The time of year could have had something to do with that, but my experience has been that smallies are more aggresive, and when you can get on a good smallie top water bite, thats about as good as fishin gets in my opinion. That's actually what got me hooked on bass fishing, an evening on Banks in early June where the smallies were hammering about any topwater bait we threw at them, on almost every cast. I still daydream about that evening.....:)

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu May 19, 2011 4:36 am

BASSMIGNON wrote:
tagwatson360 wrote:
BentRod wrote:Having only caught bass in Washington, I am also of the opinion that SMB are stronger fighters. However, I do think that LMB are more entertaining due to the topwater action. I find I tend to enjoy fishing for SMB more than LMB due to the fight. JM2C [wink]
The topwater action for smallmouth can be phenomenal. It is one of the best methods for catching big smallmouth as well. Give it a try now through September.
Is topwater action for smallies good during the spawn? I know after "guarding fry "is phenomenal. Do you fish it different now vs. 1-2 months from now? Maybe stick to long points ie spawning flats, and anywhere you know of spawning grounds on the water you are fishing.
Back at home in Michigan, we had great action with smallies during the spawn, but you need to wait for the mayfly hatch. Here in Washington, I have luck in Post Spawn for Smallies. I think it's the amount of baitfish running around, I'll use a zara spook in the morning during calm conditions.

I'm sure Tag could shed some more light on the subject.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu May 19, 2011 5:12 am

That is a good question to ask and I would guess that you haven't yet caught a smallie. If you did, there will be a pretty good chance you will say smallie.

Another vote for bronze over green, pound for pound. This in no way takes anything away from my passion for targeting largies. I love to fish for both and other species too.

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Topwater fishing for smallmouth can be pretty decent during the spawn and even during the Prespawn under the right set of conditions, particularity for big fish. However, the Postspawn through early Fall time frame will typically provide you with your best action. Don't be afraid to throw large topwaters for smallies. You may need to downsize your trebles one size on occasion (Owner ST-36's), but big smallmouth love giant wakebaits and walking baits.

Good luck!

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:13 pm

islandbass wrote:That is a good question to ask and I would guess that you haven't yet caught a smallie. If you did, there will be a pretty good chance you will say smallie.

Another vote for bronze over green, pound for pound. This in no way takes anything away from my passion for targeting largies. I love to fish for both and other species too.
Ive never even seen a smallie in person. :thumbdown

Thanks for the info guys !
Not many lakes down here that have smallies in them. #-o
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

dre and p
Angler

Post by dre and p » Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 pm

deff a smallie they are stronger fish but dont get as big

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu May 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
islandbass wrote:That is a good question to ask and I would guess that you haven't yet caught a smallie. If you did, there will be a pretty good chance you will say smallie.

Ive never even seen a smallie in person. :thumbdown

Thanks for the info guys !
Not many lakes down here that have smallies in them. #-o
Just ribbin' you. I also thought the same thing you asked when I first started fishing for them so I can definitely relate. If you're in AZ, I think the closest bet you might have to targeting smallies might be Lakes Powell, Havasu, and Mead, maybe?

I would be majorly bummed I couldn't fish for smallies.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 pm

I'll try Powell, my uncle doesnt like going to Havasu.
Maybe even Roosevelt would be a good option.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 am

I would like to catch a 3 pound bluegill, that will beat a LM and SM.
aka Powerworm

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:01 pm

ChrisB wrote:I would like to catch a 3 pound bluegill, that will beat a LM and SM.
I was gonna say the same thing
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

tagwatson360
Commander

Post by tagwatson360 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:21 pm

ChrisB wrote:I would like to catch a 3 pound bluegill, that will beat a LM and SM.
That would be a blast!

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 am

Where I grew up on Lake Erie, they have a trash fish called a sheepshead. They look like a Drum, and they are STRONG! When you hook one up on bass or walleye gear, you just sit back and watch your drag peeling for about 15 seconds. Wouldn't ever want to eat one, and people back there won't admit it, but they are really fun to catch! :)
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com