Hooks

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Hooks

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 am

What hooks do you like for plastics and why? I like the keeper hook by Mr.twister it keeps your bait lasting longer with good hook sets and is weedless. I know all hooks can be weedless if riged the right way but for me the keeper is much better for weeds and bait friendly.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

Eoso
Warrant Officer

RE:Hooks

Post by Eoso » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:52 am

I pretty much use ewg style hooks unless in heavier cover in which I use a more straight shank to penetrate easier.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Mostly ewg gama superline hooks, usually a 4/0 or 5/0. Thats the only hook I have found that has not bent on me yet.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Gammy EWG for me or the Skip Gap hook...it holds the bait well. Size depends on the bait.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:29 pm

For worms, lizards, and other plastics of the sort. I like to use Daiichi hooks.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Gamakatsu and owner for dropshot, Gamakatsu ewg for t rigs, gamakatsu skip gap for skipping baits, Straight shank flippin hook for flippin beavers and such.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Gamakatsu and owner for dropshot, Gamakatsu ewg for t rigs, gamakatsu skip gap for skipping baits, Straight shank flippin hook for flippin beavers and such.
Word :thumright

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:14 am

tnj8222 wrote:Mostly ewg gama superline hooks, usually a 4/0 or 5/0. Thats the only hook I have found that has not bent on me yet.

Ditto. I do use a lot of 3/0 though for sweet beavers. Your line will break before these hooks bend. Period. I've pulled half a tree off the bottom and the hook looks like it just came out of the package.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:25 pm

:-" I have been using the keeper for 23yrs and have never had a hook break. I have had them bend on docks and logs but never on a fish. So I have been reluctant to buy any other style of hook. A plus to this hook is you can use it on every plastic from worms to frogs. They come in sizes 1.0 to 6.0. They have been good to me over the years. What ever your hook is or the make fish on and have fun thanks for the input.
Trent
Last edited by The HAWG HUNTER on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"